Re: [MacPerl] Millions of Questions from a Newbie

At 4:59 3/7/96, Mark Nutter wrote:
>>p.s.  Is the max content for an AppleEvent 32k?
>
>I believe it's somewhat less than that, due to overhead.  Did someone say
>something like 27K or so?  I'm not terribly clear on this one either.

There hasn't been a limit *in AppleScript* since AppleScript 1.1 appeared.
Before that, the underlying transport imposed a 64K limit to the total data
involved in one Apple event (slightly less for the event itself).  The
underlying layer didn't change...the Apple Event Manager that shipped with
AS1.1, and all current AE Managers, work around that limit.

Limits may still be imposed by callers to the AE Manager (which includes
targets of AppleScript-produced events.

One test case I use ships 86K of data in one Apple event (produced in
AppleScript).  It arrives fine, gets modified in the target app, and comes
back fine.

   --john

  --
   Each day is a gift.  That's why we call today "the present."
jwbaxter@olympus.net (John W. Baxter)  Port Ludlow, WA, USA