Re: [MacPerl] Dev:Printer - device file on the Mac?

John Peterson writes:
>On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Holger Skok wrote:
>> I've recently come across the example PERL code that sends
>> a PS-file to the selected printer and I am at a loss to
>> understand what's going on...
>>
>> Since when are there any device special files on a Mac?
>> How does MacPerl emulate them?

As opposed to Un*x systems, Macs don't really communicate with the OS with
POSIXish calls, so POSIX libraries are always user level code. MacPerl links
with GUSI, a POSIXish library I did myself. That means that for all OS calls
taking path names, the parsing of the names is under my control, and I've taken
the liberty of assigning special meanings to some of the names (to the chagrin
of a few people who are using Dev: as a real disk name).

>> Which ones are supported?

Johns list is complete, as far as I remember.

Matthias

-----
Matthias Neeracher <neeri@iis.ee.ethz.ch> http://err.ethz.ch/members/neeri.html
   "One fine day in my odd past..." -- Pixies, _Planet of Sound_