Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl5 and libwww-perl-5b7

>On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Brad Cox wrote:
>
>> use HTTP::Date;
>> $time = time;
>> my $stringGMT = time2str($time);
>> $nutime = str2time($stringGMT) || die "failed on $stringGMT\n";
>> print "$stringGMT $time/$nutime\n";
>>
>> and got...
>>
>> # failed on Wed, 13 Mar 1996 01:24:54 GMT

>It's been discussed recently on this list (and someone correct if I
>remember wrong--I'm to lazy to go back and look) that 'my' doesn't work
>correctly outside of subroutines in MacPerl.
>John Peterson -- University Networking Services

>I would recommend b6 instead of b7 -- I seem to recall that b7 was
>documented for use only with version 5.002 and up, and I believe MacPerl is
>based on 5.001m.  I have used portions of b6 with MacPerl, although not the
>exact section you are having trouble with.
>Robert Coie

I find that version 5b6 runs without problem -- even with my(). Amongst
'my()' problems is that:
        print hash{};
        print list[];
both fail if the arrays have been declared <my %hash> and <my @list>. However:
        print "hash{}"; and
        print "list[]";
both seem to work.

I had trouble however getting MacPerl to see the new library path -- and I
don't really understand this. Putting the following path into MacPerl:

       Powerbook:APPLICATIONS:MacPerl f:libwww-perl-5b6:lib:HTTP

generates the error message "can't find HTTP/Date.pm", even though
"Date.pm" is in HTTP, whilst:

       Powerbook:APPLICATIONS:MacPerl f:libwww-perl-5b6:lib

runs perfectly. Why is this I wonder?

Alan