Re: [MacPerl] Reading files into arrays (problem?)

trr@frame.com (Tim Ringwood) writes:
>Y'all Perlheads:
>
>I think I know  the answer, but could use some confirmation.
>
>If I do:
>
> open(HAND,"file");
> @array = <HAND>;
> close(HAND);
>
>The connects of the file gets dumped into array, if I am reading in a file
>on the Mac, with MacPerl, that was created on UNIX the whole file gets
>places in the first item of the array. Is the because MacPerl expects
>a Mac file (and it's record ends) when reading in the file and it's seeing
>UNIX record ends?

Yes.

>Is the way I can alter this behavior?

select(HAND);
$/ = "\012";
select(STDOUT);

> Is there anyway we can UNIX and the Mac to work together in peace and
> harmony?

The above code works on Un*x, too, so you're a step further toward your
cybernetic meadow.

>Thanks for any help, and I love the push button "Oh Well" when I can't
>save my changes! I would have used something a bit harsher.

I think "Oh Well" either comes straight from the Apple Human Interfaces
Guidelines or was derived from two principles there:

 - Don't make users click on a button named "OK" when they are likely to
   be unhappy about a situation.
 - Don't use language that might offend anyone (So "Darn", "Merde", or
   "Waj geschrien" is not applicable either).

Matthias

-----
Matthias Neeracher <neeri@iis.ee.ethz.ch> http://err.ethz.ch/members/neeri.html
 "...someone not acquainted with the Christian mythology of the Crucifixion
  might consider a Crucifix to be a particularly sadistic piece of erotica...
  We of the ACLU will continue to defend your right to worship such objects
  if it pleases you." -- Gregory J. Wageman