[MacPerl] Reading files into arrays (problem?)

Y'all Perlheads:

I think I know  the answer, but could use some confirmation.

If I do:

 open(HAND,"file");
 @array = <HAND>;
 close(HAND);

The connects of the file gets dumped into array, if I am reading in a file
on the Mac, with MacPerl, that was created on UNIX the whole file gets
places in the first item of the array. Is the because MacPerl expects
a Mac file (and it's record ends) when reading in the file and it's seeing
UNIX record ends? Is the way I can alter this behavior? Is there anyway
we can UNIX and the Mac to work together in peace and harmony? (Sorry,
it can be a bugger of a problem.)

Thanks for any help, and I love the push button "Oh Well" when I can't
save my changes! I would have used something a bit harsher.

tim