[MacPerl] Directory Divider (Was: "Epoch-making difference"--time())

Title Changed as the subject changes.

At 10:08 96.04.05, Paul Schinder wrote:
> It would be a terrible idea, since / is a perfectly valid character in a
> Mac filename.  You'd have to try to guess when the user meant / as part
> of the filename and / as a directory separator.  There's simply no good
> way to do that.  I don't know about DOS (thank God!), but maybe / isn't
> legal in filenames there.

As for DOS/Win/NT/95, contrary to your belief, "/" works just like "\".  At
least that's what I found out running Win32 version of Perl.
  I am yet to check whether "/" can be used as a directory divider on MacPer
l (I'd have check it out NOW if MacPerl doesn't crash when running MachTen..
..my dialup is now besed on MachTen's pppd for most of time).

  FYI, you can forcibly use "/" as a part of file name on Unix;  You can acc
ess the file by escaping "/" with a backslash.  I'm not sure about DOS but p
erhaps the same thing applies.

Dan the Man with Too Many Filesystems to Take Care of