Re: [MacPerl] Bbedit as a text editor?

At 12:30 pm 10/4/96, Russell Aminzade wrote:
>I much prefer to use BBedit as my text editor, rather than the editor
>intrinsic to MacPerl.  Is there a way to do this?

Yep. Nag Matthias for six months until he implements an 'external editor'
feature. <grin>

Like you, I prefer BBEdit to the internal editor (sorry, Matthias). There's
actually a 'Send Script' BBEdit extension which you can use to get MacPerl
to execute a script without leaving BBEdit, but I generally just switch
back and forth between the two environments manually - write my code in
BBEdit, switch to MacPerl, try to run it, switch back to BBEdit to make the
corrections. Not ideal, but workable.

In an ideal world, the two would be more tightly integrated, so that you
could see MacPerl's error messages come up in a BBEdit browser window (as
they do when you're using Think C or MetroWerks + ClickWarrior, for
example). In a *really* ideal world, not only would there be no war,
poverty, famine, or rap music, but MacPerl would be 'just another language'
as far as BBEdit is concerned, and would be treated just like BBEdit treats
the CodeWarrior IDE or the TPM. I'm uncertain how much work is required by
Matthias and/or Rich Siegel for this dream to become a reality.

In this very much less than ideal world, this level of support isn't yet
available. However, Matthias has implemented something that allows you to
write BBEdit extensions using MacPerl, so perhaps we could kludge something
together relatively easily using that.