[MacPerl] Forms: parsing accented chars

1 --> to David C. Schooley

>> Since Alpha has built-in, user-defined syntax
>> coloring, you get
>> that too.
   [...]

Alpha??? Excuse my ignorance... but what is Alpha?

2 --> my other question might be considered a general Perl question and not
directly MacPerl related. If you consider it so, please answer me
privately.

I'm all confused!!!

I am setting up a cgi with MacPerl that allows me to return a web page of
info on a particular city by browsing a text based database (tab separated
fields, return separated records). I request the name of that city from a
form. Nothing fancy. My script works fine when I request unaccented data
(ie. 'Verdun' or 'Yamaska'). But when I submit a city name with accented
chars the mess begins.

Is there a way to deal consistently with accented data submitted from a
form, independantly from the platform from which it was sent?

I am currently developping and testing with MacPerl and MacHTTP but with a
possible port to UNIX in mind.

Thanks for any help.
Stephane.

                            jose.stephane@uqam.ca