Re: [MacPerl] Bbedit as a text editor?

At 1:17 pm 11/4/96, Nicolas Monnet wrote:
>> ... Matthias has implemented something that allows you to
>> write BBEdit extensions using MacPerl ...
>Sound interesting? What is it???

It's a MacPerl extension, available from:

        <ftp://err.ethz.ch//pub/neeri/MacPerl/MPBBEdit_07Feb96.sit.bin>

Stick it in the MacPerl Extensions folder and it will allow MacPerl to save
Perl scripts as BBEdit extensions (it adds another entry to the 'Type'
pop-up menu that appears on the 'Save As ...' dialog). These Perl-created
extensions look, to BBEdit, exactly like regular BBEdit extensions written
in C, the only real difference being that they need to launch MacPerl to do
their dirty work.

There's some debate on how reliable/useful it is, but it works for
Matthias, and there is no doubt that this is a Studly Hack and therefore a
Good Thing. I'm strongly tempted to see if we can do the same thing in
Macintosh Common LISP, just to be *really* perverse ...