Re: [MacPerl] Bbedit as a text editor?

> I've written a simple BBEdit extension that tells MacPerl to execute
> the contents of the active BBEdit window. Any output (stdout and

Since I've gotten several requests for this extension, and the extension is
very small, I don't think it's too much of an abuse to post the extension to
the list. So below is a description of the extension, and a binhexed  copy of
the extension.

If you have any questions or comments or would like a copy of the source code
please let me know.

Brad Hanson
bhanson@avalon.net

To use the extension unbinhex it (using, for example, StuffIt Expander), and
put the extention in the "BBEdit Extensions" folder that is in the same folder
as the BBEdit application (if BBEdit is running the extension will only appear
in the Extensions menu after BBEdit is quit and restarted). When the extension
is executed the text in the active BBEdit window is sent to MacPerl to be
executed as a Perl script. If the script writes output to stdout or stderr
then a new BBEdit window is created and the output is put into the new window
after the script is finished excuting (the stdout text is first followed by
the any stderr text).

The extension is a 68K BBEdit extension and should work on a 68K or PPC
Macintosh with MacPerl 4 or 5, and BBEdit or BBEdit Lite (I've only tried it
with version 3.5.2 of BBEdit).

Attachment converted: ION2:Run Perl Script (BBXT/R*ch) (0000BD20)