[MacPerl] Font metrics

I find that the font metrics tables used by the LaserWriter are
significantly different from the tables published in
<libwww-perl-5b6:lib:Font>.

Perl scripts which justify text using the libwww-perl-5b6 module tables
occasionally give unexpected results on a Macintosh for that reason.

The libwww-perl-tables are, I quote, "auto-generated by makefont.pl based
on the [Adobe] AFM file for the font". It would seem therefore that there
must be more than one "Adobe Times-Roman" font in existence.

It seems not just a matter of different encoding of high-ASCII glyphs. For
example the hyphen in the libwww "Times-Roman" tables is equal in width to
the "=" but in the LaserWriter (and GhostWriter and StyleWriter and screen)
it is equal to "i".

I have some Macintosh LaserWriter font metrics tables available if anyone
would like copies.

Alan
ajf@afco.demon.co.uk