Re: [MacPerl] droplets

Bart Lateur <color@pophost.eunet.be>
>But now this decision begins to make sense. You can easily add code for
>other platforms simply in different resources, while still using the same
>dialogs etc. In this respect, the data fork will *not ever* be used to store
>code, for the PowerPC, or any other processor.

Reality check here: The data fork is *right now* the preferred place to
store PowerPC code. If you look at MacPerl with a disk editor, you'll
see more than a megabyte of code in the data fork. The argument about
further platforms is mistaken: The Code Fragment Manager has no problem
with multiple architectures, and in fact, given the rather inefficient
data structures of the resource manager, might be even faster.

Another factor is that code fragments stored in the data fork are easier
to page when virtual memory is on. In fact, code in resources is currently
not paged directly from the application.

Matthias

-----
   "One fine day in my odd past..." -- Pixies, _Planet of Sound_