[MacPerl] re: ping, echo

"John W." <johnw@imagelinc.com>
} To Mac-Perl,
}
} I've been trying to use the 'ping.pm' module to set
} up a ping script.  The line in this module:
}
} $echoport = (getservbyname('echo', 'tcp')) [2];
}
} doesn't return anything on the Mac, but works fine
} on my DEC.

It may be that MacPerl just doesn't know the port number for echo.  I
discovered today that it doesn't know syslog as I was getting Syslog.pm
working, but just giving it the port number by hand should work.  Be
aware that there was a CERT advisory about echo and chargen a few
months back in which they advised turning echo off, so if you point
your script at a random machine, it may not answer.

}
} Mac's can reply to ICMP requests, but not send
} them (yet)?  Is this true?

Macs running OT do, I believe.  I don't think Macs running MacTCP do,
but there's software you can run (MacTCPWatcher, for one) that does.
There's certainly ping software (MacTCPWatcher again) around that sends
them, but I believe Matthias said MacPerl can't.

}
} Any suggestions?
}
} John Whelan