Re: [MacPerl] Question re Mac Perl Editor

In the message "Re: [MacPerl] Question re Mac Perl Editor",
dated 6/5/96, Matthias Ulrich Neeracher wrote:

>There are a few vi-surface clones (like stevie) on the Mac. However, I don't
>think any of them support the vi macro language and such, and I
>don't think any
>of them are popular enough to have been made really first class
>Mac citizens by
>their authors. Although I am a frequent vi user on Un*x, it seems
>philosophically totally out of place to me on a Mac, and I suppose that's why
>nobody ever pursued these ports further.

  'vim' is a multiplatform, fairly full-featured vi clone.  Eric
Fischer did a Mac port which preserves most of vim's
capabilities, including vi macros.  I believe it's available
from the major Macintosh file archives.

  As Matthias points out, vi is something of a fish-out-of-water
on a Mac, and Eric acknowledges this throughout the Mac vim docs.

Aron Roberts  Workstation Software Support Group . 221 Evans Hall
              University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-3808
              aron@garnet.berkeley.edu . (510) 642-5974 . fax (510) 643-5385