Re: [MacPerl] Question re Mac Perl Editor

Jon Wright <jon@UNS.com.au> writes:
>Another newbie question. On Unix I use vim (VI Improved) or vi.

>On the Mac, there is an editor which perl uses but it feels
>unfamiliar and awkward to a vi user.

I'm sure I'd have heard something along that lines if I hade included
a vi as the default Perl editor :-)

>Is there a way to change
>the editor (perhaps to stevie - a vi clone)? Is there a good
>vi editor for the Mac - I can't find a vim port but did find
>stevie (which is close to vim but not quite....).

At the moment, I don't have a coherent concept regarding editors. Alpha and
BBEdit work as external editors to some extent due to interface packages. My
current work on OSA Perl might provide further options. However, it is not
clear if I should move Perl in the direction of an OSA language (and make
the "integrated development environment" vanish over time) or upgrade the IDE
significantly. At the moment, pragmatic reasons compel me to leave the IDE more
or less as it is.

There are a few vi-surface clones (like stevie) on the Mac. However, I don't
think any of them support the vi macro language and such, and I don't think any
of them are popular enough to have been made really first class Mac citizens by
their authors. Although I am a frequent vi user on Un*x, it seems
philosophically totally out of place to me on a Mac, and I suppose that's why
nobody ever pursued these ports further.

Matthias

-----
  "And that's why I am going to turn this world upside down, and make
   of it a fire so *bright* that someone real will notice"
                                -- Vernor Vinge, _Tatja Grimm's World_