Re: Re: [MacPerl] Thanks and more....

Yanni,jon@aggroup.com, writes:
> I know that it is easy for people to think that they can just port
> their unix cgi's to MacPerl and that everything will be ok, (and in
> some cases it is), but for the vast majority of scripts/sites, one
> must find an alternative to MacPerl due to the threading limitation.

'vast majority' ?

If the average MacPerl script executes in 1 sec (probably an overestimate on
a decent Mac server), then you'd probably need a few hundred people running
programs every hour for noticably many colisions to occur. Even then the
worst that occurs is someone has to wait while the program executes. I would
guess that many if not most Mac servers are lucky to get a few hundred hits
an hour, and it's probably a rare Mac server that is both busy enough and has
programs running often enough that MacPerl's lack of threading will be a
significant issue.

> I think that when the OSA version comes out, the combination of
> MacPerl/Frontier will be the best bet. :)

Yes, this would be a pretty cool combination. I'm right now doing a lot of my
Web related work in Frontier, and found myself relying a lot on MacPerl's
support for DoScript for the text processing Frontier couldn't cope with.

John
--
John Blackburne - programmer, writer, consultant, trainer
Perl, AS, QD3D and more at http://www.hk.super.net/~johnb