[MacPerl] Thanks and more....

>Jon (no h) S. Stevens        yanni@clearink.com wrote:
>Na, truely the best bet is to switch to Frontier or C for rightnow. :)
>
>I know that it is easy for people to think that they can just port
>their unix cgi's to MacPerl and that everything will be ok, (and in
>some cases it is), but for the vast majority of scripts/sites, one
>must find an alternative to MacPerl due to the threading limitation.

I really doubt that the vast majority of cgi scripts require threads.
Mostly they just handle input from forms or act as an interface to
a database. I have used perl for a cgi intranet application that is
run on both pcs and macs,  and there is only a handful of lines of
code difference between them.  The biggest problem with macs is the
apple event overhead on powermacs (that code is still emulated 68k).
It would have taken much longer to write this app in c, and it wouldn't
have been possible with Frontier.

Glen Osterhout