Re: [MacPerl] Perl, some forms, my Mac & no server

>my main problem, apart from learning Perl using the perlmanpages ;-), is i
>want my mac to be able to send form data to a script, have MacPerl process
>it and send the results back to the browser but i don't seem to be able to
>do this.
>
>is it possible to acheive this with MacPerl?
Yes
>do i need other software?
yes
>does my mac need to be set up as, or even simulate, a server?
yes
>will i have to test form/script performance over the net using the unix server?
no

>anyone with any pointers, info, help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok matt, enough with the short answer ;)

You need the CGI Glue which should be available where you found MacPerl.
The "glue" is actually and extension to mac perl (called Mac HTTP CGI
script) which lets you save a perl program as a CGI script.

Then you need a WWW server, I'd recommend MacHTTP or better yet
NetPresenz (If you don't mind using Internet Config) Either server
works, just make sure you save the CGI version of your script as
myscript.cgi not .pl.  Also you can edit your myscript.cgi with
Mac perl, but not with another editor, so you may want to keep a
"text" version around.

Find out your IP address by establishing your Internet connection and
using GetMyAddress to tell you who you are.  Or just put an address in
MacTCP and work off the net (be sure to set it back before you get back
on the net again).  Then launch you browser and point it at your
page in your www server's directory.

All very high level, you will have fun trying to get this all to
work (I did :) )  maybe I'll write a WWW page on it...hmm

Will

                                                        _   ^
Quote: "Error no keyboard -- Press F1 to Continue"     (o) (o)
Talk@ul8r,                           http://www.intersol.org
                                     (919)302-8914
Will Snipes                          wbsnipes@intersol.org