Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl OSA component (??)

Bill Hoffman <bhoff@slip.net> writes:
>I'm somewhat confused by references to "OSA-compliance" in the 510a3
>alpha and expected 5.1 release of MacPerl that I've seen here and
>elsewhere.
>
>Like many, I imagine, I'm hoping to see a Perl OSA scripting component.
>Is this something I should be hoping for, or have I misunderstood.

There are several levels of OSA friendliness:

 - "Scriptability": Being scriptable from any OSA languages. Perl has had this
   since 1993.
 - "Recordability": Being able to record user interface interactions.
   Implemented since 1993.
 - "Attachability": Being able to attach scripts to windows and buttons.
   Not implemented.
 - Being able to *execute* scripts in all OSA languages: AppleScript since
   1993, other languages in 5.1.0 (This is most of the "OSA" stuff floating
   around in the alpha releases).
 - Being an OSA component: Will be released together with 5.1.0. This is
   probably what you want.

Matthias

-----
   "I'm set free to find a new illusion" -- Velvet Underground