Re: [MacPerl] Any issues with multiple processes on cgis?

Here's a little perl module semaphore.pm that will help you out.

It creates a semaphore file in a predetermined directory (which you
need to change for your system) and lets you test that file to see
if it exists.  Using this you can lock out changes to a file for
multiprocessing.

It works with MacPerl and Unix perl both above version 5.
Use check_sem.pl to test it and see how it works.

Regards,
Will

>Does anyone know if there is a potential problem with a cgi perl script
>opening a dbm file  due to possible multiple simultaneous users?
>
>I think the basic question is, is it possible to get multiple instances of
>the same Perl script trying to open the same file, or do scripts run to
>completion before another web request can be processed? (Or is this server
>dependent?  I develop on Mac but scripts run on Unix).
>
>I'm using dbm files that the scripts use read-only, but I have to give
>read/write permission to get them to open successfully on the server I'm
>running on. I'm worried about collisions if two instances of the same
>script get running simultaneously.
>
>--John Springer
> |        Can you use a creative, Internet-savvy marketing guy?        |
> |      Check Me Out at <http://www.scruznet.com/~springer/HireMe>     |
> |                                                                     |
> | [This Space Paid For by the California Employment Development Dept] |

Attachment converted: ION2:check_sem.pl (TEXT/*TEX) (0000CC6B)
Attachment converted: ION2:semaphore.pm (TEXT/*TEX) (0000CC6C)
                                                        _   ^
Quote: "Error no keyboard -- Press F1 to Continue"     (o) (o)
Talk@ul8r,                           http://www.intersol.org
                                     (919)302-8914
Will Snipes                          wbsnipes@intersol.org