Re: [MacPerl] Setting file sharing permissions?

At 9:32 7/18/96, Charles Albrecht wrote:
>I'm trying to plug a security hole in Personal File Sharing, which
>is exhibiting itself when running NetPresenz.  A co-worker of mine
>is looking for a solution in Frontier, and I'm seeing if I can find
>a solution with MacPerl.

What version of NetPresenz?  4.01's purpose is to close *some* security
hole related to good old Any User in 4.0.  I didn't pay much attention,
since Any has no permissions here, during the odd moments I run NetPresenz.

>We tried to record the Finder actions with Frontier.  It only seemed
>to be able to record selecting the directory, opening the Personal
>File Sharing Window and closing the window again.  None of the
>selections seemed to be settable.

This might be an issue of what Finder "glue" you are using in Frontier.
You should use a ...verbs.apps.Finder table which has been adjusted for the
Scriptable Finder.  But I (as author of the current one) don't know whether
the sharing stuff is right in it, or not.  It should be.  The "current one"
has an entry named **versionOfGlue with the value
    "1.2b5a Glue for Scriptable or old Finder"

It's a couple of years old...expect an update sometime soon from another user.

The "AppleScript Finder Guide English Dialect" from Apple says that for a
Sharable Container, the extra properties
   exported
   sharing window
   mounted
are read only; the other extra properties are modifiable:
   group
   group privileges
   guest privileges
   inherited privileges
   owner
   owner privileges
   protected   (Can't be moved, renamed or deleted checkbox)
   shared

That list suggests that you should be able to accomplish what you want in
Frontier (or AppleScript).

   --John

  --
   Development of software takes longer and costs more.
jwbaxter@olympus.net (John W. Baxter)  Port Ludlow, WA, USA