Re: [MacPerl] Programming Perl (2nd ed) (fwd)

At 11:54 AM 8/20/96, Tim Ringwood wrote:
[...]
>There are a couple of books out on Perl5 right now plus plenty of
>Web resources. I found all of these to be more helpful that the last
>Camel book dealing with Perl 4 code.
[...]
>The Camel book I have looks like it's still new (compared to my Perl
>by Example and Learning Perl in 21 Days which have pages falling out)!

Personal preference, I guess.  *shrug*  Personally, if the New Camel is a
Weighty Tome, then so be it.  I tend to use the original Camel more as a
reference book anyhow: I cut my Perl teeth on the Llama, and don't expect
to sit down and read the new edition cover-to-cover any more than I read
the 1st edition front to back.  I'll certainly be going through it pretty
hard once I gets my greedy little mitts on it, but I don't plan on needing
to flip through through the whole thing every day.  My Perl knowledge is a
small set of all Perl knowledge: I carry with me what I use most often, and
go digging in the books in those cases when I'm hopelessly lost.

Also, an 800-page behemoth should has great Intimidation Potential for the
non-initiated.  It might even scare my boss.  >:->  (Seriously, though: I
like the suggestion of splitting up the book into two volumes, with the
second as a library reference, though not at the cost of making the edition
come out much later!)

- Mike, owner of a tatty llama and a ragged camel

--
Michael P. Clemens      Senior Engineer, Fry Multimedia     Web Slinger
mclemens@frymulti.com   http://www.frymulti.com/~mclemens   Lego Maniac