[MacPerl] DBM & Mac Perl

Hi,

I have built a custom database system based on a flat text file (return
delimited records, tab delimited fields). As the database file grows I'd
like to modify the system to use a dbm file instead.

I don't know where to start and I am a bit confused with MacPerl's
implementation of DBM files.

The Llama and Camel references mention that when calling dbmopen, Perl
should create a pair of disk file (somefile.pag and somefile.dir). MacPerl
only create one file. I do not understand why.

This brings also two questions:

1 - Would a dbm file created by MacPerl be portable to Unix environment?

2 - How can I convert my text file database to the dbm format

I have been looking for info in the excellent MacPerl List Archives but I
couldn't find satisfying answers.

Can somedy help me on this one? TIA.

Stef

                        mailto:jose.stephane@uqam.ca