re: [MacPerl] Re: Sending Mail from within macperl

Matthias Ulrich Neeracher <neeri@iis.ee.ethz.ch>:
} Kevin Cutts <cutts@ukraine.corp.mot.com> writes:
} >Is there a way/package to send mail from within MacPerl? I've done it on a
} >unix platform by simply using system to invoke mail. Is there a way to use
} >the socket interface under MacPerl to send SMTP mail?
}
} The older way is with MacSMTP.pl, which still is on
}
} ftp://ftp.switch.ch/software/mac/src/mac_perl/
}
} The Perl5 way is to use Net::SMTP and Mail::RCF822, but I'm not sure
} to what extent they work on MacPerl. I think Paul Schinder has ported
} at least the former, it's on

Yes, Net::SMTP has been ported and works well.  I also have Graham
Barr's MailTools ready to go.  He describes them in one of the Perl
Journal issues (the second, I think).  Mail::Internet looks like it
should work with no problems now.  I'll take a look at Mail::RFC822
when I get a chance.

}
} ftp://mors.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/MacPerl/Scripts/

Yes, at the moment in the Beta subdirectory, although with the release
of 5.10r2, I'm going to move everything out of Beta as soon as I get
the chance.  At the moment I'm in Tucson, Arizona, enjoying the desert
sun (oh, yeah, there's that conference...), and I'm trying not to tie
up the hotel's phone lines like I tie up my own  (have Powerbook, will
travel), so I don't know when I'll rearrange things on mors.  At the
moment I plan to delete the scripts that run under 5.07r1m (like the
5b6 version of libwww), because they're no longer needed.

}
} And I suppose the latter needs at most a handful of modifications.

Probably.

}
} Matthias
}
} -----
} Matthias Neeracher   <neeri@iis.ee.ethz.ch>   http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~neeri
}   "And that's why I am going to turn this world upside down, and make
}    of it a fire so *bright* that someone real will notice"
}                                 -- Vernor Vinge, _Tatja Grimm's World_
---
--------
Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center,