re: [MacPerl] SMTP.pm works now

"Robert A. Decker" <comrade@umich.edu> writes:
}
}   Thanks everyone for the help with my SMTP.pm problem. It's now working.
} For some reason my IO:Socket.pm file was the wrong one (it was an MPW
} document if that's a clue to anything). I downloaded another copy of
} 5.1.0r2 and replaced my old IO:Socket.pm file with the newly downloaded
} IO:Socket.pm file and everything seems to work now.
}
}   This leads to an interesting question; How does one keep track of all
} these library files? When a new version of MacPerl comes out do you just
} replace the application? Or are the library files also updated with new
} releases?
}
}   My lib folder is so tricked-out now I would hate to have to replace it
} :-)

The simplest way is to never install anything into your MacPerl lib
folder.  I have a folder, which I call PERL5LIB, into which I install
all of the extra modules I have.  Put the path to this folder into
MacPerl's library search path, and you never have to worry about
accidentally destroying one of the system modules, or worry about
rescuing your modules when you install a new version of MacPerl.  The
only thing I put in MacPerl's lib folder are fixed system modules
(always carefully preserving the original), and I really wish there was
some way to make :MacPerl f:lib *last* instead of first in the dialog
box that lets you set up the search path so I wouldn't have to do this.
There doesn't seem to be (although I haven't tried very hard).

}
} rob
} --
} <mailto: "Robert A. Decker" comrade@umich.edu>
} Programmer Analyst - Health Media Research Lab
} University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center
}
} "Get A Life" quote #5: "In my heart I know you're right, but my perfectly
} functioning brain says you're a horse's ass." -Bob Elliott
---
--------
Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center,