[MacPerl] Absolute Newbie ?????

Hi

As I started to get interested in doing Perl, I realized that you can't run
Perl on a Mac, so I looked around and found MacPerl.  I figured that I could
learn Perl on my local machine.  I am now starting to think that it was
made for running on Mac servers, and that I would probably be better off
learning straight Perl to run on my ISP's servers.  Am I getting close,
here?

Trying to figure out the point of a conversation in a big room you walk into
is pretty tough.

TIA

Jorah

(and I'll take my dumb questions and go away if the answer is yes)