Re: [MacPerl] Absolute Newbie ?????

|I figured that I could learn Perl on my local machine.  I am now starting
|to think that it was made for running on Mac servers, and that I would
|probably be better off learning straight Perl to run on my ISP's servers.
|Am I getting close, here?

While MacPerl is used for server-like functions a lot, that's not it's
sole use. I have a number of little scripts I use for doing various
things on my Mac that have nothing to do with serving anything. :-)

As for learning perl, there shouldn't be a problem learning on a Mac,
and having nice editors available and not having to be connected to
a remote machine are nice advantages. While there are some things you
can't do in MacPerl you can in Unix perl, there aren't a lot of them,
and they're mostly advanced stuff anyways. You can learn a lot about
perl and do lots of useful stuff without ever doing a fork.

I do all the perl development for my company's web site in MacPerl
and then upload everything to the Unix server hosting the site. I
generally have few problems, and the ones I have are often bugs in
my scripts. There are a few differences I have to think about,
pathnames probably being the biggest, but most of the scripts are
just straight perl.

In general, Matthais has done a really good job with MacPerl. I'd
have no problem suggesting to someone they learn perl on a Mac.

Brian