RE: [MacPerl] several dumb questions

At 9:22 -0500 11/1/96, Steve.Henrichs@hbo.com wrote:
>       The following code fragment will return the name of your machine:
>
>       @thevols = MacPerl::Volumes();
>       $mymachine = $thevols[0];
>       $mymachine =~ s/^.*://;
>       print "$mymachine\n";

That returns (it appears) the name of the startup disk (or CD) volume.

Only by accident is that the machine name...not necessarily is it different
from the next machine over (they might well both be "HD").

The machine name is found is 'STR ' resource -16413
  (note that because this resource comes from the System file, it must NOT
be released when one is finished with it...that could rip a handle out from
under another process).

I haven't been following the modernizations of MacPerl...I don't know how
to read that 'STR ' (space significant) resource, particularly honoring the
do not release.

See IM: More Macintosh Toolbox page 1-127 (one of my folded-corner pages)
for additional interesting strings.  (The user name is 'STR ' -16096; the
printer driver name is 'STR ' -8192 except when that string is the name of
the current desktop printer; etc.)

   --John