[MacPerl] DB record size

I'm still using the Perl-4 style DB functions such as dbopen() for my Perl
DB work, and I just ran into a problem. It looks like there is a size
limitation of the key/value data. Above a certain size, trying to set the
DB record causes the script to return a DB error.

1) Is there a way I can change the default size, or increase the max size,
of the data element of a DB file and still use the Perl-4 style dbmopen()
type calls?

2) If not, is there a way I can do this using the Perl-5 specific DB
functions such as tie(), or other something else?

I saw an old posting from Matthias that said the following would work:

use DB_File;
$DB_HASH{"bsize"} = 65536; # Or whatever you want

But I tried that and the is no module called DB_File.pm. The other DB
modules I found had nothing documented about this feature.

Thanks in advance,
Dave