Re: [MacPerl] loving/hating MacPerl

Matthias

Hi.

>>1. I had such trouble with the latest version of Perl5 that i finally
>>deleted it off my harddrive and went way back and reinstalled 418. I kept
>>getting system crashes, I was repeatedly rebuilding my desktop and doing
>>disk repairs with Norton.
>
>Hmm, does anybody share this experience? Constant crashes are definitely not
>acceptable.

(Sheepishly,) I think I misunderstood something about "big". I'm
understanding now I should have been running the version of MacPerl
entitled "big". Is that so? If so, could that be the source of the problems
I had?

>>3. suggestions for the next version of MacPerl (some of which I gather
>>Matthias has already taken care of):
>>
>>a. get the interrupt key back
>
>Done.

outstanding!

>>b. add a file letting us know which files in the distribution are not
>>essential and can be deleted.
>
>It's all gradual. There's nothing preventing you to have an utterly fulfilling
>Perl user career with nothing but the application itself. In general, you
>want to have the lib and pod folder; what to keep in them is very much a matter
>of taste and disk space.

so even if I dump the entire contents of the 'pod', the folder needs to be
there?

>> (I suppose I'm revealing too much naivete
>> here, but I have yet to figure out what all the "t" directories are for.)
>
>All the t directories in the ext folder provide small examples of MacPerl
>Toolbox access. They are there because people were bitching about total lack
>of examples to get started with Toolbox access.

damned if you do and damned if you don't....

>>c. I have this sneaking suspicion that some of the problems I was
>>experiencing were due to 'internet config' and 'shuck'. Can those be
>>ditched?
>
>Yes, but there is a 99.9% chance that Internet Config is innocent. Shuck tends
>to deal badly with low memory situations and tends to seduce users into putting
>it into low memory situations. I've never experienced MacPerl, Internet Config,
>or Shuck trashing my harddisk or desktop DB.

how much memory is ideal for 'shuck'?

thanks much,

Mike H.

PLEASE DIRECT ALL EMAIL TO: hammond@u.arizona.edu