Re: [MacPerl] DNS resolver

I found that someone had written a DNS server in Perl
and lo and behold, included in their distribution was
the module 'DNS.pm'.  This can be found at:

http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~schemers/docs/lbnamed/lbnamed.html

After a week or so I was able to hack out a UDPclient,
which I can post somewhere if anyone wants to look at
it.  It's essentially a simplified nslookup and (I think)
it's doing the same thing as the 'bind.pl' script.

>From what I can tell however, there is alot of networking
code included in OpenTransport, specifically a DNS
resolver.  My question then is, what would it take to
interface (in Perl) with what is already there?

>A reply after 35 days !
>
>I happened to stumble across a script called bind.pl on URL
>http://www.stl.nps.navy.mil/~brutzman/perl/bind.pl
>
>The author is Marc Horowitz, marc@athena.mit.edu or marc@mit.edu .

>Has anyone done any work on a Perl DNS resolver or
>MX algorithm that 'could' work on a Macintosh.  After
>reading some of the relevant RFC's, it looks like
>it would be possible with a TCP or UDP socket to
>the nameserver(s) specified in the TCP/IP control
>panel.

John Whelan                 ImageLinc Commercial
em: johnw@imagelinc.com     Internet Services
fax: 206.812.1033           ph: 206.812.2662