Re: [MacPerl] crashing while running perl under Toolserver

At 22:56 12/8/96, Richard Yeh wrote:
>I've got a PowerMac 7200/75, running System 7.5.5.
>While in MPW (3.4), if I attempt to cause ToolServer (1.1.1)
>to run, say, 'rshell -b "perl -v"' (either MacPerl MPW tool
>version 5.0.7r1m or 5.1.0r2), my computer has hard hung.
>(The mouse stops, Cmd-Ctrl-Power has no effect, and I force
>myself to press the power switch on the front.)   Am I doing
>something wrong?  I didn't find any reference in the documentation
>to failures under Toolserver.

If you're running MPW Shell 3.4, why are you not also running ToolServer
3.4?  It _shouldn't_ make any difference, but you never know.  The
ToolServer that you've got has cobwebs hanging off of it.

After updating your ToolServer, try a simple command to it, such as:

rshell -b 'Echo "Hello, world!"'

(Yea, I know, it's lame...)

If that works, then you can go on to something that loads and runs a tool:

rshell -b 'Echo "This is a test..." | count -c'

If that works, then try the Perl command again.  You can also try the Perl
command in the MPW Shell to see if the tool itself is having problems.

Good luck.

Greg Branche
former MPW Entomologist