[MacPerl] Type 28 errors and diagnostics.pm

In common with several other people, I am getting errors of type 28 (`stack
has moved into application heap') using the MacPerl5.10r2 application, on a
68K machine.  Unlike the others (or, at least, nobody else has reported
this), my problems only occur if I have the `use diagnostics' directive in
my script.  If I don't, everything works as I expect.  If I do, my script
actually runs and produces its output; if there are any errors, it produces
the diagnostics, but then it quits (and hangs up Alpha and/or the Finder).
I tried increasing the size allocated to MacPerl, but it made no
difference.  It doesn't make any difference whether I am running any other
application at the time: no diagnostics, no problem; use diagnostics, type
28 error.  Other modules work fine, It looks as though something in
diagnostics.pm is putting MacPerl into an infinite recursion in the
clean-up code.

So I looked at daignostics.pm. There is enough if ($^O eq 'MacOS') stuff to
suggest that it is supposed to be OK with MacPerl.  As for the rest, the
code is too ... dense for me to tell whether it's all right.

Questions:  are anybody else's type 28 errors related to diagnostics.pm?
            does diagnostics in fact work on other platforms?