[MacPerl] Compiler for Mac_Perl

THis may have been asked but I'm new to this BB.

I'm a new user of Perl, but I am very impressed!!!

I started using it simply to simplify CGI scripting and have found it
to be quite an excellent language in its own right. It needs a few hooks
down to physical, but since it can jump out to the shell easily it
seems that these deficiencies can be overcome within the context of
the language.

My question is: Is there compilers for the language? That is,
are there translators that produce stand-alone runtime code that
can run in environments which do not have copies of the interpretor?

Obviously, this wouldn't make to much sense for CGI. But, I'm think
of Perl as an extensible language. It looks as if it shares a lot
of thinking from , C and the UNIX shell(csh), with a bit of LISP
thrown in for good measure. Net result: this might be a very good
language for rapidly building rather complex applications in
multiprocessor environments. To do so, you need compilers. Are
there any?

- Ray Lauzzana