Re: [MacPerl] Updated from Perl4 to Perl5 - nothing works

At 12:32 AM 1/5/97, Giuseppe Farese wrote:
>>I then launched MacPerl (5.0.1r2) and opened one of my applications,
>>I then did a SAVE and exited MacPerl. I double clicked on the application
>>and nothing happened - as far as running the application that is.
>
>Scott:
>
>I'm also having the same problem. RunTime seems no to work OK with 5.1.0r2.
>
>Regards,
>

>Giuseppe

Last night and this morning, I have done some further testing and I
have come up with a possible solution. Unfortunately, I tried several
different things at once and got it to work so I am not sure which
of my changes (or combination of changes) made the difference.

One of the key things is the preferences files. With MacPerl5, the
name of the preferences file is "MacPerl 5 Preferences". I removed
the previous "MacPerl Preferences" file from SYSTEM FOLDER:PREFERENCES
and that seems to have helped. I then used the FILE|SAVE option rather
than the FILE|SAVE AS option. This only works if you use the FILE|NEW
option to open the window and then enter the code. For existing scripts
I used BBEDIT to open the source file then cut from BBEDIT and pasted into
MacPerl.

My guess is that the preferences file is the major issue, but I am not
prepared to restore the old one just to do more testing on why it didn't
work. As long as it works now, I am satisfied.

I have only verified this on the 68K version. I will try to get to the
PPC version this afternoon.

If someone can confirm that there is a conflict when both preferences
files exist, then it might be worth noting somewhere in the install
procedure (READ.ME or somewhere). Or even to update the installer to
remove old MacPerl Preferences, if found.

Later,
Scott Weaver
sweaver@bluenova.com