Re: [MacPerl] Beginner trying to learn Perl on my Mac

Jay Paulin <jpaulin@badg.com> writes:
>I bought the book Learn Perl in 21 days from my local book store.
>
>Naturally, I started reading, got a copy of MacPerl v5.1.0r2 and had a few
>problems. I hoping someone out there can get me going.
>
>Every time I select open file with MacPerl loaded the system hangs.

I have been able to exculpate sun spot activity and Netscaper Navigator for
this bug, so my current hunch is that this may be an incompatibility with
Macintosh Easy Open. Can you reproduce this bug when Easy Open is deactivated?
Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to reproduce this bug on my machine.

>I chapter 6 "Reading & Writing files". I could read files as long as I
>specified Mac path to file but there was no way that I could create a file
>within a MacPerl program.  Any information here will greatly appreciated.

Did you include the ">" ? To create a file you need:

open(FILE, ">disk:folder:file");

Matthias

-----
   "One fine day in my odd past..." -- Pixies, _Planet of Sound_