Re: [MacPerl] Net::SMTP and Big/PPC MacPerl

}Hello
}
}The script below works flawlessly on my 8500 using MacPerl 5.1.3r2. But
}the same script, running on a Q610 with a 'Big' MacPerl of same version
}dies horribly in MacsBug. Lines below appear in the MacPerl window, just
}before all goes white (I've gotta toggle from MacsBug to the MacPerl
}window to read this bit.):
}
}    # Callback called exit
}        File 'Leonardo:Skunkwerks:smtpr'; Line 435
}    # END failed -- cleanup aborted            ~~~ * script only has
}        File 'Leonardo:Skunkwerks:smtpr'; Line 211   16 lines?! Is this
}    # Callback called exit                     ~~~   ref'ing lines in
}        File 'Leonardo:Skunkwerks:smtpr'; Line 211   another module?
}    # BEGIN failed -- compilation aborted      ~~~
}        File 'Leonardo:Skunkwerks:smtpr'; Line 3
}    Out of Memory!
}
}Both systems have, near as I can tell, *identical* lib directories, with
}identical paths configured. Only difference is the PPC/Big application
}itself.

Are you sure?  For example, are the Net:: files Mac text instead of Unix
text on both?  Do you have the memory partition set high enough on both?
Using the default, even with Net::SMTP, may be asking for trouble.  It's
been my experience that out of memory conditions can cause MacPerl to
become unstable.

}
}And speaking of ways to croak 8-) , I've noticed that scripts run in the
}PPC version die very nicely--for example, when I'm trying to use
}LWP::UserAgent. Scripts output what went wrong to the MacPerl window,
}and leave MacPerl (and system) stable and ready for another go. But
}scripts that tank in the Big version output to the MacPerl window, then
}proceed instantaneously to MacsBug (from which 'es', then, seems the
}only means of recovery).
}
}What gives?

Having owned a PPC machine for a few weeks now, I can safely say that
*everything* works better on a PPC, except perhaps file mapping (and the
absolutely evil Apple Fax software that came with my Performa).

}
}Anyway, here's the Net::SMTP script (smtpr)...
}
}<---------------------------------------------------------------------->
}
}#!perl
}
}use Net::SMTP;
}
}open(LINES,"Averroes:Desktop Folder:mail:boork boork boork") or die "can't
}open file";
}@lines = <LINES>; # the newlines are needed
}unshift(@lines,"From: guinn\@mail.utexas.edu\n",
}               "To: guinn\@mail.utexas.edu\n",
}               "Subject:Stuff\n","\n");
}$me = `hostname`;chomp($me);
}$mail = Net::SMTP->new("mail.utexas.edu",Debug => 1);
}$mail->hello($me);
}$mail->mail("guinn\@mail.utexas.edu");
}$mail->to("guinn\@mail.utexas.edu");
}$mail->data(@lines);
}$mail->quit;
}
}<---------------------------------------------------------------------->
}
}Any insight much appreciated.

Looks fine to me.  How big is this file?  You're keeping the whole thing in
memory...

}
}Thx
}