Re: [MacPerl] Net::SMTP and Big/PPC MacPerl

At 17:50 01.31.97 "Paul J. Schinder" <schinder@pjstoaster.pg.md.us> said:

>}Both systems have, near as I can tell, *identical* lib directories...

>Are you sure?

Reasonably so, yes. In fact, after trying all of the workarounds I could
think of, I even ftpd the *entire* lib folder from my 8500 to my Q610 and
swapped *everything* ...after backing up & removing the original, of
course ;-) No difference. Same crash.

>For example, are the Net:: files Mac text instead of Unix text on both?

First thing I checked, yes. All files have Mac line endings.

>Do you have the memory partition set high enough on both?

"both" meaning MacPerl itself *and* the droplet? The MacPerl partition
on both machines is substantial enough that I can run simple s///-type
droplets on 5+MB text files w/o any problem. Different operation, I know,
but considering the test messages I'm sending are only one liners, or at
most maybe 15-20 lines generated by Kant Generator Pro (fun for
generating gibberish to experiment on), I figured the "Out of Memory!"
warning was bogus.

FWIW, at least on my Q610, the 'smptr' droplet has a 64k partition and
MacPerl has 2560k. Can't check on the PPC's version, just now.

>Using the default, even with Net::SMTP, may be asking for trouble.

I'll experiment w/ higher settings, all around.

>It's been my experience that out of memory conditions can cause MacPerl
>to become unstable.

I'd make reference to Net$cape's low memory behavior, but that comparison
would be an insult to Matthias ;-)

>}And speaking of ways to croak...

>Having owned a PPC machine for a few weeks now, I can safely say that
>*everything* works better on a PPC, except perhaps file mapping (and the
>absolutely evil Apple Fax software that came with my Performa).
                 ~~~~~~~~~

                   =8-0 <g> I know...

>}Anyway, here's the Net::SMTP script (smtpr)...

>Looks fine to me.  How big is this file?  You're keeping the whole thing
>in memory...

The message itself? See above. At most, 15-20 lines, at about 3k on a 70MB
partition. Shouldn't be a problem, no? Tiny file.

Thx

tpg

--

Tim Guinn                  | guinn@mail.utexas.edu