Re: [MacPerl] External Editor Menu in MacPerl 5.1.3

On Tue, Feb 4, 1997 1:51 AM, Dan Herron <mailto:herron@cogsci.ucsd.edu>
wrote:
>I use it with Alpha, no problems. Did you use Internet Config to set the
>helper for type "editor" to Alpha?

I've had problems with Alpha+MacPerl too. As the originator of this thread
said, Alpha will launch but not open the file. SimpleText works OK, but
Alpha refuses to behave properly. I have quit and then restarted MacPerl
each time I've changed the editor in Internet Config, so everything should
be getting set up properly. Depending on how well other editors work
(Alpha's the only one I've tried), it could be a problem with Alpha. Alpha
6.51b4 sometimes refuses to open files that are double-clicked in the
Finder. Quitting Alpha fixes the problem with the Finder, but not with
MacPerl.

>Speaking of this: has anybody made any nice customizations to Alpha's
built
>in Perl support (I added a couple commands for inserting the #! line, and
>for saving as droplet without have a filename dialog, etc). A lot more
>could be done (has been done, perhaps).
>
>Or (even better) has anybody modified Vince's Additions (great Alpha
>addition which adds vastly improved modes for C, C++, Tcl, but not Perl)?
>It does things like header generation, function commenting, intelligent
>completion and indentation, etc. I've fixed it up some, but don't have the
>time to learn Tcl to really make it perfect -- anybody done it?

No, but I wish someone would fix the the electric braces "feature" so that
I can use associative arrays without having to delete the carriage return
and spacing that Alpha so helpfully adds for me every time. I have resorted
to turning off electric braces altogether. Maybe there is some obscure key
combination that I'm missing...

later,

---Dave---

David C. Schooley                         |
Ph.D. in progress                         | A Car is a Convenience
Georgia Tech Electric Power               |
<mailto: schooley@ece.gatech.edu>         | A Bicycle is a Way of Life
<http://www.ee.gatech.edu/users/schooley/>|
This message was sent by Cyberdog, a product of Apple Computer Inc.
On the Internet, no one knows you are an OpenDoc part.