Re: [MacPerl] Shutdown and MacPerl (fwd)

According to Paul J. Schinder:
> }Ok - so here are my questions:
> }
> }1. Why the message?  Of course I want the program to run -
> }that's why I put it into the shutdown procedures.
>
> Not owning Inside Macintosh, I can only guess, but I've seen things like
> this before in AppleScripts...   Why the message?  Because you told the
> operating system to shut down.  (Are you in the habit of starting programs
> on Unix boxes after you've just done "shutdown -h now"?).  After it
> launches your script in the Shutdown Items folder, it then continues to its
> next order of business.  Its next order of business is to get all running
> applications to quit.  So it tells MacPerl to quit, MacPerl says "Hmm, I'm
> in the middle of running a script, I'd better ask and see if the user
> really wanted to tell me to quit".  And MacPerl puts up a dialog box.
Actually - yes I am.  There are a number of clean-up
routines which are run during shutdown to make sure that
everything on a Unix box dies correctly.  Like locking the
disk drives until the next unlock command.  Shutting down
the net properly, etc....

The same is true here.  I don't want to go off and leave
the web page hanging with a bad node number on it.  :-)

> Your easiest fix is not to try to drop your PPP connection during shutdown.
> Do it before.
Ok, I'm willing - how?  The system only knows it is
shutting down when I select the shutdown command.  Apple
created a "shutdown" folder under 7.5.3 so programs which
needed to run when a shutdown occurred could run.  Seems
kind of dumb that they would then turn around and try to
kill the very processes which are run under the shutdown
folder.  :-/  Of course - that could just be the one hand
not knowing what the other is doing.

> Cancel in MacSpeak means "I really didn't mean to do that".  MacPerl isn't
> trying to figure out where the Quit came from, so it assumes you did it
> from the menu or with command-Q.  Try starting a script and then command-Q
> sometimes and you'll see this.
Actually, I've had occasion recently to need to quit out of
start-up routines written in MacPerl.  This message never
came up.  Which is why I was confused.  But this does clear
that question up.  Thanks!  :-)

> Nope, Unix will let you "rm -f *" even if you really meant "rm -f *~".
Yep - and I've done it before.  :-)

> Yes, but MacOS isn't made for the power users, but for the millions that
> will accidentally do things they didn't want to do.   It goes to some
> lengths to protect users from themselves.  Whether that's actually
> necessary depends on whose using the machine.
*nod*  Like I've said - a soapbox ranting.  I'd rather
delete everything by accident than have the computer stop
me.  I DO make lots of back-ups because of this though.  :-)