[MacPerl] How to spin down hard disk? (fwd)

According to Reiner Schlotte:

> Hi!
>
> I'd like to spin down and spin up (some of) my SCSI-hard disks,
> preferably from MacPerl, maybe from AppleScript, if all this fails,
> from an application. Any ideas?

If I remember my rudimentary disk drive stuff from when I
played around with them on my Apple computer....

Each disk drive has it's own unique set of commands which
tell it to spin up/down, lock/unlock, etc....  In order to
even start working on this I would have to assume that
you'd have to contact the manufacturer and find out the
proper commands.  That is - if you want to do this
directly.

If you have a program FROM the manufacturer which will do
this for you, then you should be able to do this with an
AppleScript (although I am AppleScript stupid myself [soon
to be remedied when I get paid again and can afford to buy
a book on AppleScript]).  :-)