Re: .pl suffix (was: [MacPerl] open() misfeature? )

At 19.44 +0100 97-02-22, Peter Whaite wrote:
>Chris Nandor said:
>> At 23.14 97/2/21, Jeff Keys wrote:
>> >If you go into 'function popups' in BBEdit Preferences, you can add other
>> >extensions for any of the languages it parses. You can add .cgi, .pm, .lib
>> >or whatever for perl.
>>
>> But you can't tell it to do anything to an extension-less filename.
>
>I wish all these other editors would standardise the emacs local-variables
>block embedded in comments towards the end of a file, e.g. at the end of any
>perl file put...
>
># Local Variables:
># mode: perl
># End:
>
>...to tell the editor to use perl mode for editing, highlighting, etc...

There is another, shorter way to do it too:

#!perl5 -w
# - * - perl - * -

Pretty good and easy to implement.  Doesn't care about filename extensions
or what program to execute the file with.

	Sam

 http://www.nada.kth.se/~sam  home +46 70 1234567  cell +46 70 7821022