Re: [MacPerl] Shuck, AS, Perl, whatever, Pt 3. (fwd)

> On Sat, 1 Mar 1997, Zalman Stern wrote:
>
> > The phrase "shucking peas" is certainly used for describing the act of
> > removing peas from a pod as well as for removing husks from fresh corn.
> > "Husking corn" is also perhaps slightly more likely to be used than
> > "shucking corn." (Which will cause American college football fans to think
> > of Nebraska...)

To put in my $0.02 here:

Having lived in Georgia for a large number of years (when I
was quite young :-) ) we never said "husking corn" but
"corn husking".  If you worked in the fields you were a
"corn'er" or a "corn gEt'ter" (with emphasis on the "E").
if you worked to remove the husk from the corn you were a
"corn husker" or just a "husker".  If you were the person
who helped to remove peas from their pods you were a
"shucker".  I do not recall ever calling a husker being
called a shucker although I'm sure (since the two are
fairly interchangeable and I was quite young at the time)
others did.  :-)

BTW: Valdosta Georgia had only around 5,000 people in it
when I lived there.  It now has more than 300,000 people.

PS: Here in Houston people say "shucking corn" and "husking
corn".

PPS: Ask me about tobacco rolling sometime.  :-)