[MacPerl] Ping

Hi,

Awhile back, I seem to remember someone posting source for a simple
script that pings a remote host and writes the result (as "host is
up/down"?) to a logfile. Ring any bells? Anybody have source they're
willing to share? I've looked at Ping.pm, but'm wondering how to get
around the pingecho() use of alarm. I also have read (& experienced)
problems with MacTCP-endowed machines not responding to ICMP...yes?
But OT machines seem to handle it okay. True?

As you can tell, I'm a little in the dark, here.

Basically, I'm in the very early stage of cobbling a simple LAN
monitoring script together in Perl.

Thx in advance

tpg

--