Re: [MacPerl] Ping

guinn@mail.utexas.edu (Tim Guinn) writes:
}Hi,
}
}Awhile back, I seem to remember someone posting source for a simple
}script that pings a remote host and writes the result (as "host is
}up/down"?) to a logfile. Ring any bells? Anybody have source they're
}willing to share? I've looked at Ping.pm, but'm wondering how to get
}around the pingecho() use of alarm. I also have read (& experienced)
}problems with MacTCP-endowed machines not responding to ICMP...yes?
}But OT machines seem to handle it okay. True?

You don't need to get around the use of alarm, since it now works fine (==
it no longer complains about being unimplemented).  I've fixed a copy of
Net::Ping from CPAN to work under MacPerl.  Find it at
<ftp://mors.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/MacPerl/Scripts/Ping.pm>.

In the past there was a time that MacPerl didn't run the signal handler
properly/at all.  I haven't tested for this lately, but I've gotten no
alarm complaints from libwww-perl-5 in quite a while, and I don't always
remember to set the flag which turns off the alarm()'s.  You can easily
test and see.

MacTCP machines don't respond to ICMP echo unless Peter Lewis'
MacTCPWatcher and/or Daemon is  running, and I don't remember for sure
which it is.  OT machines do respond.  I don't know whether either will
respond to tcp/udp echo, although it seems that either MacTCPWatcher or
Daemon is listening for them on my Mac right now.

}
}As you can tell, I'm a little in the dark, here.
}
}Basically, I'm in the very early stage of cobbling a simple LAN
}monitoring script together in Perl.
}
}Thx in advance
}