Re: [MacPerl] BBEdit MacPerl Window?

>>This is a good idea, so I've incorporated it in a new version (1.1)
of the
>>"Run MacPerl" BBEdit extension I wrote. The new version has two new
>>features. First, instead of a new window being created for MacPerl
output
>>a file named "MacPerl" in the BBEdit folder is created (if needed)
and
>>opened to hold the output. Second, if errors are detected in the
Perl script
>>an error browser window is opened.

This is great!  I especially like the error browser window -- very
handy!

In addition to the features you've added (and in my constant effort to
enhance the laziness that Perl hackers are supposed to develop :),
there are a couple of other things I would like to see the extension
do:

1. Save the state information for the window, so when it is opened it
remembers where it was the last time.
2. Save the file each time information is added to it, so that when
you close it you don't get the "Do you want to save this?" dialog box.
3. Make the window read-only, if possible.  (For no good reason,
really, but if you can't accidentally type in it, you don't have to
worry about the "Save this?" dialog box when you close it later -- is
this lazy or what?)

Finally, I would like to see a separate "Check Perl Syntax" extension
that does everything "Run MacPerl" does except execute the script.
That way, I could set things up with QuicKeys to type Command-Shift-R
to get the equivalent of MacPerl's "Run Front Window" menu item, and
Command-Shift-K to mimic "Check Front Window".

Although I admit to being lazier than most, I think others might like
this feature, as well.

>>At this point I put the "MacPerl" file
>>directly in the BBEdit folder. Is there some reason you created a
folder
>>(MacPerl Message Window Ä:) just to hold the file containing the
message
>>window?

I was just trying to be extra sure that if for some crazy reason
somebody had a file called "MacPerl" in the BBEdit folder I wouldn't
be clobbering it.  But that's probably going a bit too far.

Thanks again for developing your extensions, and for adding the
enhancements to them!

Richard

Richard Pfeiffer <pfeiffer@well.com>
Publishing Automation/Database Consulting/Book Production
BMUG Scripting SIG -- Next Meeting: FileMaker Pro
Monday 3/17/97, BMUG offices @ 6:00 p.m.