[MacPerl] Simple question (I hope)

Hi,
just a simple question : I've wrote a script that produces a formatted
table as output : I've utilized the command:

open(STDOUT, ">outputfile");

to do so (obviously "outputfile" is the name of the output file).
Well, if I double-click to the "outputfile" this calls Teachtext to be
opened and (I don't know why) all the text doesn't appear still formatted
as in the macperl window... why?
I've seen the macperl preferences but I've not found an option like "output
text will be opened with..." that allows me to choose macperl as the
"default" text editor for such files.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Fabiano