Re: [MacPerl] Simple question (I hope)

>From rkt@gate.cybernex.net Sat Mar 29 10:27:25 1997
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 10:27:25 -0500 (EST)
From: Rajanikanth Tanikella <rkt@gate.cybernex.net>
To: Fabiano Petrone <fabiano.petrone@ud.nettuno.it>
cc: mac-perl@iis.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: Re: [MacPerl] Simple question (I hope)
Fcc: mac-perl

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, Fabiano Petrone wrote:

> Well, if I double-click to the "outputfile" this calls Teachtext to be
> opened and (I don't know why) all the text doesn't appear still formatted
> as in the macperl window... why?
> I've seen the macperl preferences but I've not found an option like "output
> text will be opened with..." that allows me to choose macperl as the
> "default" text editor for such files.

Might be because TeachText soft-wraps text. That is, it will break a line
at the rightmost edge of the window even if there is no "\n" character
there. You can see this in action if after you open the table file in
TeachText you resize the window and the text wraps differently.

One way to remedy this is to include in your MAcPerl script some code to
set the creator and type settings for your outputfile. This hould take all
of about 2 or 3 lines of code (thoug hoff the top of my head I cannpt
recall precisely waht that code might look like. I have used it before and
I think it's terrific.) This way when you double-click on the output file
it won't automatically open TeachText, but rather it will open the
application specified as the creator. So, for example, you might try
setting MacPerl as the creator (I don't recall the exact 4-character
string that designamtes MacPerl) and "TEXT" as the type so that when you
double-click the outputfile it opens up in MacPerl. (Of course, if your
MacPerl settings are such tath double-clicking a MacPerl file runs it
instead of opening it for editing, then MAcPerl might try to run your
output file instead, and likely find the script fraught with syntax
errors.)

Hope that helps.
Reg
 "when I thought I came from  | Rajanikanth "Reg" Tanikella,
 nowhere I came from every-   |
 where instead" --Jesus Jones |     rkt@.cybernex.net