Re: [MacPerl] Image::Size installation?

"Paul J. Schinder" <schinder@pjstoaster.pg.md.us> writes:
>davistv@iac.net (Troy Davis, Mann Bukvic Gatch) writes:
>}I'm trying to use the Image::Size pm, but I can't figure out how to get
>}around the Makefile script since it looks like it is expecting a unix
>}system. Has anyone installed this module before?
>
>You don't get around the Makefile script.  They do expect that Perl modules
>will only be installed on Unix systems.
>
>Here are some things to look for when downloading a module from CPAN.  If
>there are any files ending in .xs, forget it, since you'll need a C
>compiler to install it.  As far as I know, only Matthias can properly make
>shared libraries.

This does indeed seem to be (sad) the state of affairs. Despite the 100s of
downloads of the MacPerl source code, nobody except be seems to be able to get
it to build, and you need a MacPerl build directory to build extensions.

Maybe a small number (2-3) of people *really* interested in building MacPerl
could contact me and we'd hash out the problems of the build in a smaller
forum.

Matthias

-----
  "Between the end-user requirements and the target environment, the s/w
   design engineer has perfect freedom to determine the system: he could
   specify gerbils with abacuses if they're willing to live inside the
   box without chewing on the power leads." -- Ned Ulbricht