Re: [MacPerl] perl->c supporting Mac extensions? (fwd)

According to Chris Nandor:

> At 15.58 97/4/3, Mark Manning/Metrica wrote:
> >I can see a couple of reasons why someone would want to be
> >able to hide the code.  The first is security, the second
> >is to prevent thief.
>
> To recite the Perl guru mantra: keep secure data separate from your
> program.  And, to the latter, what is so valuable that you don't want it
> stolen?  Seriously.  Is anything you've written more valuable than what
> you've received for free, even apart from perl itself?

Ok - halt.  First, this isn't a personal matter.  It's not
a question of "have I written anything more valuable than
what I've received for free."  (Which, if you are talking
about Fortran, C, or assembly language I'd have to say
yes.  But with Perl - definitely NO! :-) )  It was a
question about how to keep someone from seeing the source
code.  Your question is saying that I'm trying to say my
stuff is better than anyone elses and therefore no one else
should be able to see it.  I have not said that.  I was
simply answering the original question as it was asked with
a method I felt might help them out.  You obviously have a
problem with that.  I don't.  Some people (not you) are not
part of the open mind concept.  They want to hide
everything away.  I have no problem with that outlook.  I
do not condone it.  Nor do I subscribe to it.  But if
someone asks for ways in which to do it I will not close my
mind to their requests either.  So whoa!  Can we keep to
the question and not take jibes at each other?

> I know that any code I deem valuable enough that someone might be desperate
> enough to steal for it is worth giving away for free use so that others
> might learn from it, as I have learned in the past.

As I did with my example database program.  And the socket
program I modified from what Vlad and Paul did.

> But, I suppose, to each his own.
*nod*  My thoughts exactly.

BTW: You are still sending me duplicates of your messages!  :-)